Friday, February 09, 2007

Czar's Sample of the Week

I've been gone for a minute, but now I'm back! And by my watch, 11:20pm CST, it's still Friday, so that means time for another installment of Czar's Sample of the Week.

This week, I'm gonna let the Tim stans fight this one out. Now as someone who's a Tim stan as well as someone who loves Tim samples, one of my favorite stories is the rumor surrounding the baby sound in Aaliyah's "Are you that Somebody." For a several years now, I've heard arguments back and forth on which track Tim sampled for the baby giggle. So what I decided for this week is to get the opinion from all the Tim stans on the Chronicles.

The first theory that I ever heard over the baby sound was that it sampled Prince's "Delirious" off the 1999 album. If you listen to the very end of the track, you can hear the exact same baby laugh that's found in "Are you that Somebody." The second theory was that it sampled the track "Playtime" off the soundtrack of the classic 1982 movie "Wild Style." Now usually the arguments go between these two tracks, but some have aruged that Tim sampled "this track" from the amazing Brian Auger.

So what do y'all think? Which track do you think Tim sampled for "Are you that Somebody?" Do you know of any other tracks with the same baby sample that you think is the real sample? Peronsally, the baby laugh is probably off some sample cd or sound in his keyboard...but if I had to choose, I would probably pick the Prince track because we all know how much Tim loves and is inspired by Prince.

So that's it for this week's installment, but don't forget to check back next Friday for Czar's Sample of the Week.

Pz,
Czar

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was like 13 and wanted to start producing, I got some cheap lil program and it was preloaded into it..it was like a stupid lil 5 second clip lol! So there's another theory or whatnot for you lol

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Czar!

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

real hard 2 say. I guess its the Prince one tho (Big A)

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess its from a Wild Style sample...
Tim loves movies!

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its from none of of them. if u listen to timbos he got a cleanversion that chopped up. All the other ones doesn't give him enough room to chop it up properly

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the baby giggle is actually from a doll where you pull the string and it laughs. i read it in vibe when they named it song of the summer and top 20 songs of the decade.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll have to agree with Disco Blaze...LOL...my golly he's right

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this samples all over the place... i got a pan pipe music cd with it in, at the end of the day, how different can a baby sound

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard tim say he used it from one of aaliyah's old baby home video tapes.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.
You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.